We begin by ‘brainstorming’ – creating a list of potential niche candidates.
What makes a viable ‘candidate’? Here are the characteristics we’re looking for:
Not too big, and not too small – we’ll go over how to determine this.
Availability of affiliate products and/or services.
A topic you are either already familiar with, or is interesting enough to you that you’re willing to learn about it.
We’ll go over each of these, but first, we’ll take a look at how – and where – to get ideas to begin with.
The best way to start our list is to write down topics we already have some familiarity with, interest in, expertise in, etc.
As an example, my list would include:
- Scuba Diving
- Playing Guitar
- Model Building
- Computer Graphics
- Salt Water Aquariums
- Star Trek & The Twilight Zone
If you’re having trouble starting, try asking yourself these questions:
- What hobbies, interests, or sports do I like to pursue?
- What am I expert or very knowledgeable about?
- What jobs have I had that I was good at, or had a real interest in?
- What issues or ideas am I passionate about?