6. Turn off the television. Becoming addicted to the television is one of the things that can cause your electricity bills to soar higher. Thus, you need to turn it off, when you are not watching. Aside from that, you should also minimize the times that you try to watch TV when you are actually doing another thing.
7. Turn off the lights at your place when you leave. You may feel more secure in leaving your place while the lights are turned on. However, it can be one of the factors that affect your energy bills. Thus, you should turn the lights off when you leave. If you want, you can still leave just a single light on, so that you would feel secure when you go out.
8. Ride the bus instead of using your car. If you are going somewhere, which is not possible to reach by merely walking, then you should ride the bus, instead of using the car. Riding a bus or a train can only cost you a few dollars, compared to filling up your car with lots of gasoline. Just prepare earlier, and take note of the schedule of the bus, so that you won’t be late.
9. Be healthy. The cost of medicines today continue to go up, especially when it comes to antibiotics. To ensure that you won’t have to reach for your pocket to buy them, you need to maintain your health. To achieve that, you should get enough exercise on a regular basis. Aside from that, you should also take a multivitamin supplement in conjunction with a healthy diet.
10. Don’t turn on the water faucet at its maximum level. When you take a bath, there is no need to turn on the water at its maximum level, especially if you are not in a rush. Turning it at higher levels can make your water bills soar high. Thus, if you take control of it, then you should be able to save some money by conserving water more effectively.
11. Try to enjoy leftovers. When you eat at restaurants, cook up some delicious meals for a family gathering or prepare for a birthday party, you can be sure that you would have a bunch of leftovers inside your refrigerator after. Heating them up for your meals instead of throwing them away could save you a lot of money.
12. Cook your own meals. Cooking your own meals could help you save lots of money. This is because buying the ingredients for a certain recipe is definitively more affordable, than eating out in restaurants or fast food chains. Just make sure to cook healthy meals, so that you can also ensure that you are getting the nutrients you need.
13. Buy basic things at wholesale prices. There are lots of basic things that a person needs, and buying it in retail prices can pile up the cost. Thus, it is best if you buy them in bulk, since that would give you a chance to purchase them at wholesale prices. In doing this, you would be able to save lots of money, aside from the fact that you can have good supply of your needs.
14. Shop online. Shopping online can give you an opportunity to save some amounts of cash. If you do your research, you would find out that most items found through the internet are more affordable than those that are sold in local stores. The reason behind this is that, online stores have lesser overhead expenses. Thus, shopping the modern way should help you save up some cash.
15. Buy used items. Buying used items compared to buying those that are brand new is definitely more affordable. Thus, if you want to save money, then you should begin shopping around for used products. To find them, you can always go through the internet, visit garage sales, or check out some local auctions.
16. Buy an alternative. When you do your research, you would find out that lots of products that you need have available substitutes. Thus, you should consider purchasing the substitutes of the items that you need, which are more affordable, but can offer you the same thing. For example, instead of buying a high end branded item, you can check out its equally competitive alternative, which can offer the same features at a lower price.
17. Look for coupons. There are lots of coupons available today, which you can access through the internet. These coupons can offer you discounts on certain fast food chains, restaurants, as well as in local stores. All you have to do is to sign up for the websites that offer them, and follow the simple instructions provided.
18. Take advantage of sale, especially after the holidays. Taking advantage of sale, especially those that are offered after the holidays can help you save lots of cash. For example, in most cases, decorations would become very affordable after the Christmas season. Thus, if you want to save money, you can always purchase them for the following year.
19. Credit card promotions. Credit card promotions are offered every now and then, in which it can provide you a way to save some money through gift cards, gift checks, or discounts on certain stores and restaurants. Some can even offer a cash back option, for a certain amount of credits used, or when you purchase from certain stores.
20. Fix things up yourself. Before tossing out an item, you should see if you can repair it yourself first. By doing that, you would be able to save money by not having to purchase a new one. To fix something up, you can always ask your friends for tips regarding it. Aside from that, you can also check out some troubleshooting tips through the internet.
21. Avoid spending through credit cards. Spending through credit cards is one of the best ways to pile up your debt. Thus, if you want to save more money, you should purchase on cash basis only. Save the credit cards for emergency situations only. Every item you purchase with the use of your credit card can add more to your existing debt and your monthly surcharge; thus, it is time that you leave them at home when you go out to shop.
22. Gaming at nights. If you and your friends are quite fond of going out at nights, especially on weekends, then you should invite them for a gaming night at your place. This would help you all in saving lots of money. All you have to do is to take out your favorite board game, buy some snacks and drinks, and enjoy a good time at your place, without spending lots of money in bars or coffee shops.
23. Watching movies at your place. If your family wants to spend some time with you by watching a movie in town, you should consider watching one at your own house. Renting a video at a shop near your place should do the trick. Pair it up with some popcorn and sodas, and your family would have a great time with you, while you are not worrying about the total cost.
24. Swaps are good. Swapping your things that you are not using anymore for a new item, is one of the ways of saving money, when it comes to acquiring something new. Swapping can be done through the internet, with your friends, or with certain shops. You can swap your shoes, books, music, movies, games, gadgets, and more, for items that you want to have so that you won’t have to spend a dime in getting it.
25. Buying magazines at a newsstand. If you are quite fond of certain types of magazines, buying them at the newsstand should be avoided. This is because they are usually priced too high when you purchase them from these types of stores. To save money, you can always subscribe directly to the magazine. Aside from that, check out their websites, since they might even offer e-magazines, which you can conveniently download into your computer for free or for a very affordable price.
26. The lottery. If you are fond of playing the lottery, you should seriously think about your odds of winning it. There is very less likelihood that you would hit the jackpot in the lottery, and each time you play it, you are actually spending more cash. Thus, if you simply want to be entertained, then you should consider playing at a casino, since the cost is pretty much the same, the odds would be better, and it can provide you with more entertainment.
27. Traveling. In traveling, one of the best things that you can do in order to save huge amounts of money is to book way ahead of time. This is true, especially if you book online. Lots of airlines are actually offering discounts for early bookings today. Aside from that, you should also keep in mind that booking a vacation package is also more affordable, than booking your hotel, flights, and cars separately.
28. Your travel times. To the save up some money, you should be flexible when it comes to your traveling times. For example, in booking flights, if you are not in a hurry, red-eye flights are actually good to book in terms of saving cash, although you may not want your children traveling late. Aside from such types of flights, traveling to certain vacation spots during off-season can also be a good idea, when it comes to saving on costs.
29. Going from one building to another. If you are at a city center, where you are anticipating to move from one building to another to look for certain types of items, then you should park your car in a garage or parking area, which is located centrally. This way, it would allow you to leave it there, instead of driving it around town and consume more gasoline. With that, you would be saving more money, and even get some exercise.
30. Car rental insurance. If a car rental company offers you an add on car rental insurance, you should stop for a moment, and think about your own auto insurance. Most auto insurance companies today provide policies, where your auto insurance coverage would also apply to your rental car. Thus, if this is the case, then you should decline the offer. However, it is still best to call your insurance provider for that, just to make sure.
31. Riding a bike. When you are on your way to a place where it is a bit far for a walk, then you should make use of your bike. Biking can prevent you from using more fossil fuel, which can harm the planet, aside from costing you money. With that, you should always ride your bike, so that you consume lesser amounts of fuel, and save more money.
32. Talking to a travel agent. If you are not getting anywhere in trying to book more affordable flights and accommodations online, you should know that many travel websites have travel agents working for them. They are usually reachable through their 800 numbers on a 24 hour basis. Thus, giving them a call should provide you with the assistance that you need, in order to find the package that you really want.
33. Having an affordable vacation. During the holidays, people usually go to distant places to spend their vacations on. However, if your finances is quite tight or you simply want to save money then you should consider having a vacation in the city where you are living it. By doing that, you would be able to rediscover your place. Aside from that, since you won’t be going out of the place, you won’t have to spend quite a hefty sum of money for your flights.
34. Using the ATM. It is always best to use your bank’s ATM machine, whether you want to process a withdrawal, fund transfer, or even just checking your balance. This is because when you do these things in another bank’s ATM machine, you would be charged by that bank, as well as your own bank for certain fees.
35. The card’s annual fee. There are credit cards today that offer free annual fees, while some do not. Credit card companies that charge annual fees may have added features into their cards. However, in most cases, such features are not very applicable to lots of people. Thus, it is best to choose cards that won’t charge you annual fees, so that you can save more money on a yearly basis.
36. Rate reductions. If you are carrying a balance on your card and it has been like that for quite some time, then try to negotiate for rate reductions. There is a good chance that your credit card company would agree to this. This is because they don’t want to risk more defaults, since it is bad for their business. They would rather ask lesser amounts of money from you, than suffer the consequences of more defaults.
37. Bundling insurance policies. There are certain insurance providers today, which can offer not just auto insurance policies, but also homeowners, and other forms of insurances. If you want to save some money, you should ask your provider for possible discounts if you bundle your policies. When you do that, aside from saving money, it would also become more convenient for you, since you won’t have to deal with paying different providers.
38. Take advantage of deductibles. If you want to reduce your monthly insurance premiums, then you should recheck your insurance coverage for possible deductibles. Deductibles are the amount of money that you need to shoulder in an event of an accident. Your premium would decrease when you have it, since part of the risk would be transferred to you from the company.
39. Paying insurance premiums. When you pay your insurance premiums, you should do it way ahead of time. This is because insurance companies can offer you with more discounts when you pay it before the due date. Thus, it is best if you ask your insurance provider about this, so that you would be able to take advantage of it.
40. Have a savings account in more friendly banks. There are certain banks these days that can charge you so many fees that you won’t even get the chance to earn any kind of interest. One of the fees that are quite common for some banks is called the maintenance fees. Thus, if you read your bank’s booklet and found this term, then you should consider switching banks as soon as possible.
41. Take care of your credit card debt. One of the things that can add more to your monthly expenses is your credit card debt. This is because the higher your debt becomes, the more you need to pay in terms of its interest. In other words, you may end up paying the interest each month, without even touching the principal amount you owe. Clear your credit card debt by applying for a low cost loan, so that you can breathe easier.
42. Cutting your home phone bills. Landlines or home phone services usually cost more than their VOIP counterparts. Thus, you should consider switching to a VOIP phone service and just maintain your mobile phones. Aside from that, you should also check with your local phone service provider, if they can provide you with the most basic service to cut down on costs.
43. Go to the grocery store after eating and not before. When you go to a store to shop for groceries, it is always best to do it after grabbing a snack, or eating lunch. This is because shopping for groceries when you are hungry can make you purchase food items, which you really do not need. In most cases, when you get home from shopping and eat lunch, you would realize later on that you have gone over your budget, for taking in too many food items.
44. Shopping for clothes. In buying your own clothing, you may have a tendency to purchase those that are heavily advertised by celebrities. Designer label clothes are very expensive. Although they are good in terms of quality and design, you can actually find lots of products today, which are equally good but are more affordable. Thus, avoid such types of clothing, so that you can save some money.
45. Take advantage of online auction sites. When you take a look around your own house, you may realize that you have lots of used things, which you are not using anymore. If these items are still in good condition, then you should sell them on online auctions sites. Earning more money is also a good way to saving more. Aside from that, while you are earning online, you can actually get rid of the clutter and have more space in your house.
46. Do It Yourself. You should become a DIY person if you want to save more money. By becoming one, you no longer have to hire a carpenter in fixing something at your own place. Aside from that, you also won’t have to hire someone to clean your backyard, especially if you gain more knowledge in gardening. Becoming a DIY person will open lots of opportunities for you not just to save more money, but to earn more as well.
47. Travel insurance. Prior to getting a travel insurance, you should decide to go on a trip first. Thus, if you have previously acquired an annual insurance, then you should not renew it unless you are going to travel soon. If you are unsure, then only renew it, when you are about to book another trip for your family.
48. Get more quotes. When it is the time of the year to renew your auto insurance, you should not hesitate in shopping around for the most affordable rates. A good way of doing this is to get free quotes from different insurance providers. Before you decide to switch to another insurer, though, make sure to consider the coverage they can provide, to be on the safe side.
49. You can always say no. If your kids are quite fond of telling you what they want at the grocery store or at the toy store, then you should practice saying no to them. Aside from that, you should also learn to say no to your friends, if they want you to out with them for drinks. Saying no would not just feel liberating, but it can also help you save some dough.
50. Keeping up with appearances. If you have a tendency to buy something that you saw your friend or neighbor has recently bought, then you should cut that costly habit. This is because you may end up buying lots of things you don’t need. Aside from that, you don’t even know how your neighbor got it; and, they might even have used their credit cards for it.