In order to perform effective self-hypnosis, it is important to first set the stage for the most effective session possible. You have to make sure you aren’t susceptible to outside suggestions that could enter your mind accidentally, which means you should ideally be alone without a television on. (You don’t want to inadvertently program yourself to buy a bunch of stuff you might not really need, even if you do want it!)
Find a quiet room. Dim the lights, and adjust the temperature of the room so make it as comfortable as possible. You don’t want anything to distract you from your concentration.
If it helps, you can play some calming music. You can also buy guided self hypnosis audio files that can help ease you into a hypnotic state. These can be extremely helpful, and some of them are made for specific
purposes. You can buy CDs that guide you into hypnosis and then help you lose weight, or quit smoking, for example.
If you enjoy certain scents, you can also use aromatherapy. You can use scented oils, candles, potpourri, incense, or spray. Use a scent that really makes you feel calm and happy, not just something you read might work.
It’s all about personalizing the session for you.
Here’s how a typical session should do:
1. Start by finding a comfortable sitting position. You can sit on the floor, on your bed, on a chair or couch, or wherever you feel most comfortable.
2. Light a candle, and place it in front of you on a stable surface. Watch the flame of the candle. Pay attention to its dancing and flickering. Concentrate on it carefully.
3. Breathe in through your nose, and slowly out through a slightly opened mouth. Repeat your slow, careful breathing as you concentrate on the flame.
4. Concentrate on the rise and fall of your abdomen. As you breathe in, notice your abdomen rise slowly. As you exhale, pay attention to your stomach falling.
5. Now notice the air as you breathe. As you inhale, pay attention to the coolness of the air. Notice the warmth of your breath as you exhale.
6. Pay attention once again to the beautiful flickering of the candlelight. Concentrate on it. Allow your eyelids to relax.
7. By now, you should be getting sleepy. As you watch the flame, your eyes will begin to feel heavier, and they will slowly start to close.
8. As you breathe in and out and watch the candle, allow your eyes to close. You’re feeling very tired.
9. The more relaxed you become, the deeper you will breathe. You will start to feel the warmth of the candle as you relax.
10. Now the warmth will be noticeable on your face. You will feel the warmth spread from your eyes to your cheeks and all around your face.
11. As you close your eyes, you can still see the beautiful light of the candle dancing before you. You can feel its warmth more than ever.
12. The warmth spreads from your face down your neck and through the rest of your body. Feel it relax your body as it moves over you.
13. The warmth will eventually spread down to your fingertips, your stomach, your waist, and your hips.
14. Next, you will feel it relaxing your back, your legs, and your feet.
15. Breathe deeper and notice that your entire body feels relaxed.
Every muscle in your body is in a relaxed state, and you feel peaceful and calm.
16. You are now completely relaxed. Tell yourself that when you are ready to come out of your state of hypnosis, you need only open your eyes, and you will be awake and feeling more refreshed than
you ever have been.
17. Now you can begin suggestions.
Suggestions are difficult to deliver to yourself while you are hypnotized, so you may wish to either have someone make suggestions for you, or you can record yourself making suggestions and play it to yourself while you are hypnotized.
Suggestions are like instructions you want to give to yourself. You simply need to tell yourself what you would like to do.
Here is an example of some suggestions for weight loss:
You are a thin, beautiful woman.
You do not need to overeat to feel better.
Eating too much makes you sick.
Food is meant for keeping you alive, not for pleasure.
You do not want to overeat.
You will eat only enough to get full, then you will stop eating.
You do not have to clean your plate.
Being healthy and attractive is more important than eating junk.
You can record yourself repeating these things over and over, and play it while you are in your hypnotic trance. Or you can write them down and have someone else say them to you. It’s up to you to decide which
method might work best for you. You could even try both ways to see which way is more effective.