Here’s How to Make Your Own Lip Balm and Lip Gloss!
The basic formula is:
• 1/4 cup vegetable or nut oil
• 1/4 ounce beeswax
• 1 teaspoon honey or glycerine
• 1/2 to 1 teaspoon natural flavouring oil aka Essential Oil.
- Heat the oil and beeswax in a double boiler (or microwave) until the beeswax has melted.
- Remove from heat and whip with an electric beater until creamy.
- Add the honey or glycerine and approximately 5 drops of flavouring oil; whip some more.
- Add more flavouring if desired. Store in small glass jars, small tupperware bowls, decorative tins or film containers.
- Try different oils on your lips to choose the best one for your skin and taste preference. If the Balm is too hard (waxy), add more oil to your mixture. If it is too soft, add more wax.
- You can add a few drops of beetroot juice for a beautiful & natural red colour. But instead of going to that trouble, you can just shave off a little of your lip stick for that beautiful (not natural) colour.
- Don't use food colouring as it may contain alcohol base.
- Never use extracts found in cooking sections of the grocery stores as they contain alcohol.
- Use safe essential oils. The good part about them is they have thousands of great flavours. Comfrey, Rosemary, Tea Tree or Camphor Oils are excellent for healing effects.
How do you know if it's time to throw away your gloss?
If it changes colour, odour, or texture, throw it away.